27 arrests so far over Florentine protest

Jan. 21, 2009 Examiner
POLICE have now arrested 27 protesters in the Upper Florentine Valley and more people are likely to be charged after Sunday's protest rally in the forestry area.

A 27-year-old man from New Zealand was arrested yesterday for two counts of trespassing within the area of an exclusion zone in the Upper Florentine Valley.

Insp. Glen Woolley said the man was initially located within a tree-sit location but after some negotiation with police left the tree of his own volitation and was arrested.

``This person was also identified from video footage taken by police of people who entered the exclusion zone on Sunday, January 19, 2009, during a rally organised by Still Wild Still Threatened.

``The man was conveyed to the Bridgewater Police Station where he was charged and bailed immediately with conditions that he not return to the Upper Florentine area during
his period of bail.''

Insp Woolley said a total of 27 people have now been arrested as a result of the Upper Florentine protest action.

``Police have commenced their inquiries in relation to the unlawful entry to the exclusion zone on Sunday, January 19, 2009, during a rally organised by Still Wild Still Threatened.

``Video footage taken by police at the time is being viewed.

``A number of people have been identified committing offences such as inciting people to commit the offence of trespass, trespass and breaching bail conditions and they will be interviewed by police in the near future.''

Insp. Woolley said a woman had locked herself onto an excavator in the exclusion zone this morning and police search and rescue officers had been called to remove her.

Topic: 

Tactic: 

Region: