Democracy Now (English)
We continue our interview with Rev. Dr. Barbara A. Reynolds, who worked with Coretta Scott King on her memoir, about how King opposed Jeff Sessions for a federal judgeship because of his prosecution of voting rights activists.
As the nonexistent terrorist attack manufactured by Donald Trump's counselor Kellyanne Conway makes headlines, we speak with reporters covering an actual threat from a white extremist in Bowling Green, Ohio, and the ongoing trial of a Christian minister in Tennessee for plotting to travel to upstate New York to kill Muslims there, using explosives, an M-4 assault rifle and a machete. We continue our conversation with ProPublica's A.C. Thompson and Dean Obeidallah, a columnist for The Daily Beast.
See ProPublica's Documenting Hate Project
- Headlines for February 10, 2017
- Court Refuses to Reinstate Trump's Muslim Ban, Says "No Evidence" of Attacks from 7 Listed Countries
- Trump Launches "Blue Lives Matter Regime" with Three New Executive Orders on Law Enforcement
- ICE Raids Speed into Overdrive: Advocates Say Obama's Deportations Reaching "100 MPH" Under Trump
- In Real Bowling Green Massacre, a White Supremacist Planned Attack Against African Americans & Jews
- Headlines for February 09, 2017
- Human Slaughterhouse: Amnesty International Says Up to 13,000 Hanged at Syrian Prison
- Syrian Refugee Crisis Linked to Rampant Torture, Disappearances & Arrests of Civilian Population
- Meet the ACLU Attorney Interrogated by Border Agents About Her Work, Nationality & More
- Which Foreign Group Will the Trump Administration Designate as a Terrorist Organization Next?
- "Made Me Feel We Were Back in 1950s" Coretta Scott King Memoirist on Silencing of Elizabeth Warren
Hundreds of New York public school students walked out of class Tuesday to protest the policies of President Trump. The protest came on the same day the Senate confirmed billionaire Betsy DeVos for education secretary, after a historic tie-breaking vote from Vice President Mike Pence.
In a highly unusual move, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) was silenced during a Senate debate Tuesday over the confirmation of Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions for attorney general, after Warren read a 1986 letter written by Coretta Scott King, who was then opposing Sessions for a federal judgeship.
- Headlines for February 08, 2017
- ACLU: We're in a Dangerous Situation as Gov't Claims That Courts Have No Role Reviewing Muslim Ban
- Inside the ACLU's Fight Against Trump's Muslim Ban, with the Attorney Whose Lawsuit First Halted It
- A Violation of Tribal & Human Rights: Standing Rock Chair Slams Approval of Dakota Access Pipeline
- Water Protectors Call for Global Mass Mobilizations as Army Plans to Approve Dakota Access Pipeline
- Headlines for February 07, 2017
- Rep. Maxine Waters: DeVos is a Billionaire Wannabe Teacher Who Doesn't Care About Public Education
- Rep. Maxine Waters Urges Rejection of "Foreclosure King" Mnuchin for Treasury & Sessions for AG
- Rep. Maxine Waters: Trump Should Be Impeached If He Colluded with Russians Ahead of Election
- Iranian Student Blocked from Entering U.S.: Trump Remarks on Muslim Ban Remind Me of the Nazis
- Stephen Walt: From Israel to Iran to Mexico, Trump Has Already Blown It on Foreign Policy
- Harvard Professor to Trump: There is No Evidence Media Is Covering Up Terrorist Attacks
- Headlines for February 06, 2017
- Lawyers Urge Appeals Court Not to "Unleash Chaos Again" by Reinstating Trump's Muslim Ban
- Seattle Lawyer Challenging Trump's Muslim Ban: "The Outpouring of Support is Unprecedented"
- "Resist, Resist, Resist": Thousands Protest Trump in Solidarity with LGBT Community at Stonewall in NYC
- Actor Cynthia Nixon at LGBT Rally Outside Stonewall Inn: Trump's "Fear and Anger Are Consuming Him"
- Trump Reportedly Scraps Anti-LGBT Executive Order, But Vows to Give Churches More Political Power
Watch Part 2 of our interview with Lewis Wallace, who was fired from the public radio show "Marketplace" after he published a blog post about journalistic neutrality. Wallace talks about his career in journalism, and reads his post, Objectivity is dead, and I'm okay with it, in which he questions whether people who hold "morally reprehensible" positions, such as supporting white supremacy, can be covered objectively, and argues journalists shouldn't care if they are called "politically correct" or "liberal."
Bodegas on Strike: Thousands of Yemeni-American Shop Owners & Workers Rally Against Trump's Muslim Ban
Yemeni Americans closed their shops Thursday to protest President Trump's ban on people from Yemen and six other majority-Muslim countries from entering the United States. Democracy Now!'s Laura Gottesdiener was there when thousands of bodega owners and workers, family members and supporters rallied in Brooklyn.
Special thanks to Andre Lewis and Hany Massoud.
- Headlines for February 03, 2017
- Does Donald Trump Think Frederick Douglass is Alive? Douglass's Great-Great-Great-Grandson Clarifies
- Yemen: Jeremy Scahill & Advocates Question "Success" of Trump Raid That Killed 24 Civilians
- Jeremy Scahill: Trump CIA Deputy Director Pick Gina Haspel Ran Secret Torture Black Site
- Meet Lewis Wallace: Trans Reporter Fired for Writing About Journalistic Integrity in Trump Era
- Headlines for February 02, 2017
- Resist or Resign: Facing Grassroots Pressure, Democratic Lawmakers Intensify Fight Against Trump
- Meet the Attorney Suing Trump for Barring Children from Entering U.S. to See Their Parents
- The "De-Judification" of the Holocaust?: Trump Avoids Word "Jews" on Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Nazis Once Published List of Jewish Crimes, Trump Now Pushing to Do the Same for Immigrant Crimes
- Lizzy Ratner: "Nobody Wanted to Take Us In: The Story of Jared Kushner's Family, and Mine"
- Headlines for February 01, 2017
- Neil Gorsuch, Trump's Supreme Court Pick, Has History of Ruling Against Workers, Women & Regulation
- "Stolen Seat": A Look Back on How Republicans Blocked Obama's Supreme Court Nominee
- President Bannon?: Racist, Islamophobic Breitbart Leader Consolidates Power in Trump White House
- Rev. Jesse Jackson: Confirming Sessions as Attorney General Would Stick a Knife Through MLK's Work
- Headlines for January 31, 2017
- The Attorney General Defied Trump's Muslim Ban. He Did One Thing He Knows How to Do: He Fired Her
- Watergate Veterans: Just Like Nixon, Donald Trump Appears to Think He is Above the Law
- Former Watergate Prosecutor: We Need Officials Who Will Stand Up to Trump
- Sarsour v. Trump: Palestinian-American Activist Sues the President to Overturn Muslim Ban
- Trita Parsi: If Ban is How Trump Approaches Iran, We Fear Nuclear Deal Won't Withstand Tensions
- Headlines for January 30, 2017
- "Let Them In": Thousands Descend on Nation's Airports to Protest Trump's Refugee & Muslim Ban
- Sudanese Stanford Ph.D. Student Speaks Out After Being Detained at JFK Under Trump Muslim Ban
- ACLU: We Have Won the First Victory to Overturn Unconstitutional Muslim Ban, But Fight Continues
- NYC Taxi Drivers Stage Airport Strike to Protest Trump's "Inhumane & Cruel" Executive Order
- Protests Shut Down San Francisco Int'l Terminal Demanding Release of Detained Passengers
- Reps. Jerrold Nadler, Pramila Jayapal Join Airport Protests to Free People Detained Under Muslim Ban
- Hundreds of Texas Muslim Leaders Receive Alarming Survey Investigating Their Views on Islam
- Headlines for January 27, 2017
- "The Media is the Opposition Party": Trump Adviser Steve Bannon Tells Press to "Keep Its Mouth Shut"
- Are Trump & Mexican President Provoking Conflict to Distract from Low Approval Ratings at Home?
- Will Trump's Claims of Election Fraud Pave the Way for an Assault on Voting Rights?
- Hundreds of Thousands Sign Petition to Impeach Trump for Violating Constitution over Biz Interests
- Headlines for January 26, 2017
- Jay Z Calls for Rikers Jail to be Closed in Exclusive Interview with Democracy Now!
- Trump's Executive Actions Reverse Obama Policies on Torture, Healthcare & Guantánamo Bay
- Faiza Patel: Trump Is Taking U.S. Back to Era of George W. Bush—But Worse
- NYC: Thousands Protest Trump Plan to Impose Ban on Refugees, Block Visas from 7 Muslim Nations
- In First TV Interview, President Trump Says Torture "Absolutely" Works
- A Day We Were All Afraid Of: Immigrant Rights Activist Speaks Out After Trump Takes Executive Action
- Headlines for January 25, 2017
- Winona LaDuke: Trump's Push to Build Dakota Access & Keystone XL Pipelines is a Declaration of War
- "Water is Life, Water is Sacred": Standing Rock's Bobbi Jean Three Legs Speaks Out Against Trump
- Thousands Take Part in Emergency Protests over Trump's Move to Revive Pipeline Projects
- "I'm Afraid They Are Out to Kill": Water Protectors Testify to Police Violence at Standing Rock
- Boycott the Banks: Actor Shailene Woodley Calls for Action Against Funders of Dakota Access Pipeline
- Shailene Woodley on Malia Obama's Presence at Sundance Standing Rock Solidarity Event Against DAPL
- A Complete Disregard for Democracy: Greenpeace Condemns Trump's Move on Pipelines & Silencing of EPA
- Headlines for January 24, 2017
- "Women Will Die Because of This": Planned Parenthood on Trump Signing Anti-Abortion Global Gag Rule
- Outright Lies, Constant Tweets & "Alternative Facts": Inside Trump's Orwellian War with the Media
- "Nobody Speak": New Documentary Probes Billionaire Peter Thiel's Destruction of News Outlet Gawker
- "An Inconvenient Sequel": Al Gore on New Film, Trump, Climate Change & His Opposition to DAPL
- As Trump Moves to Advance Dakota Access Pipeline, Former VP Al Gore Calls #DAPL "An Atrocity"