OCCUPY OLYMPIA UPDATES - Olympia Police Dept realizes that they are also the 99% and OCCUPY OLYMPIA!
After reading through the incredibly touching stories of We are the 99%, the officers of the Olympia Police Department realized that they are also the 99% and joined the ever growing OCCUPY OLYMPIA community!!
Can you believe it? Neither can I. However, we can always dream!
LIVE: Occupy Olympia Live Stream:
- KOWA-LP 106.5 FM Live Internet audio stream (coming soon we hope!) - Email links and information that we can broadcast on KOWA-LP 106.5 FM, Olympia's community radio station, to kowa(at)riseup.net and/or call us at (360)352-1646 and/or post a comment below. The phone will be answered when someone is in the studio. (Comments on this website must be pre-approved.)
More LIVE streams:
There's more info below! - PSST! Don't keep this a secret!
- Julian Assange: Facebook Is 'Appalling Spy Machine' (VIDEO)
- How indymedia.org a.k.a. the Independent Media Center (IMC) was created during the 1999 WTO protests. The story is located in the "Wrap-up issue" (PDF) of The Blind Spot : "The Revolution may be televised" (page 4).
- Occupy Together
- Occupy Wall Street
- THIS PICTURE SAYS IT ALL!
- Freedom of speech in the United States
- We are the 99% - An incredible collection of reasons of why the 99 percent are in the streets!!
- How long would it take to earn one billion dollars
- Get Connected!
- Can't make it to an event and want to know what is happening? Get a front row seat using any of these options.
- Internet Relay Chat (IRC)
You can get live updates and talk directly to people in the streets via IRC Chat here:
or connect with IRC software here:
After connecting, join channels #occupyolympia and #occupyseattle and others.
Secure indymedia IRC connections
You can connect to irc.indymedia.org via SSL, which will encrypt communications between you and the server. The IRCd working group explicitly recommends SSL encrypted connections over non-encrypted ones. Please note that you may not be able to join some channels if the channel maintainers have chosen to disallow non SSL users.
To use IRC via SSL (encrypted connection), you need to connect your SSL-supportive IRC client to port 6697. You can usually do this with /server -ssl, or /sslserver depending on your client software.
For complete information and instructions, see the HOW-TO at:
- Communications Software (FREE!)
Ekiga ~ Free Your Speech
Ekiga (formerly known as GnomeMeeting) is an open source SoftPhone, Video Conferencing and Instant Messenger application over the Internet.
It supports HD sound quality and video up to DVD size and quality.
It is interoperable with many other standard compliant software, hardware and service providers as it uses both the major telephony standards (SIP and H.323).
Ventrilo is a high end, yet small footprint voice communications software that has excellent sound (It does not handle video.)
- Internet Relay Chat (IRC)
Recipe for setting up a live audio stream
1 Internet server (optional)
1 server hosting provider (for broadcasting)
1 server operating system
1 or more microphones (optional)
1 or more microphone cables (optional)
1 audio mixer (optional)
1 local Wi-Fi hostspot (or dial-up via land line)
--- but beware of the FireSheep!
1 free Icecast server software for streaming multimedia.
1 free Ices source client software for a streaming server
In a large protest, combine microphones and mic cables and mix for as long as possible while streaming the mix to the server at the server hosting provider.
Optionally, a laptop computers built-in microphone can be used instead of microphones and a mixer or audio pre-amp.
Example of completed recipe.
Note: This is an old fashioned D-I-Y recipe. There are also alternative "cooks in 1 minute" recipes (see below). However, the old-school method is one of the best options because everything is under your own control. Cellphones can get viruses that can allow remote exploits and secret data collection of your calls made, etc.
How to make a live video feed
If you go to livestream.com they have a couple of different links as to how to do it on there. But essentially, you have to either have a webcam on your laptop, or a smart phone.
The laptop has to have Wi-Fi access or a 5g card to attach to laptop and feed off that.
From your cellphone, there is a link that tells you if your phone is compatible and then you download an app....Qik I believe? and then you can livestream directly from your phone onto the website.
Extended range Wi-Fi
Got more info to add?
Link to a video, etc. in a comment below or make a new blog entry, etc. Don't forget to contact us as mentioned above if you have something that you would like us to consider broadcasting on KOWA-LP 106.5 FM, Olympia's community radio station.